Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Power of the Simple Things

At the beginning of the camp, the leaders met for prayer and we discussed the power of the simple things. That we can do many things at this camp, but often it is who we are while being with others that can make a huge impact. The highlight of this camp for me has been watching relationships grow as people have chosen to simply love one another. For example, a leader deciding to visit a room each night to say goodnight, or a leader choosing to sit with a child who has been crying or is sick, or a leader giving out encouragement and compliments or simply a pat on the back, high five or a hug. This is the power of love.

The other day, I was talking with a camper who has recently been struggling with her eating habits. We have done our best to help her to feel accepted and loved, and we have kept her in our prayers. Pastor Piotr had a very long and meaningful conversation with her parents and they said that they did not expect their daughter to receive so much care and love when they sent her to the camp.

While talking with her, she asked me about my bracelet. "What does 'freedom' mean in Polish?"

"Wolność" I replied.  

"Why do you wear this?" she asked.

"Because I once struggled with many problems and I found freedom because of God. For example, freedom from sin, freedom from pain, freedom from family problems" I explained.

"I have a problem" she admitted to me.

In my limited polish I shared with her "God is freedom, He can help us be free from the power of our problems."

She smiled and continued with her English work.

Later that day, I was in crafts and I made a bookmark with the word "Wolność" on it and snuck it under the door of her room. I was greeted with a big smile and strong hug a few hours later. This is the power of the simple things. I am thankful to be working together with a team of people who have chosen to put love into action.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I love how you followed through on that prompting to bless her with that bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the simple things that really make a difference. Praying for you often. I am so blessed to hear how God is working there in Poland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wolność,freedom, is something that the people in the U.S. take for granted. It was so kind of you to talk in simple terms to the girl who asked what you thought about freedom. I think that we don't think about it often enough. Just to receive the huge smile is such a reward. Thank you for sharing your time, talents, expenses for the trip, and most of all your love. One day I hope to meet you!

    ReplyDelete